WARNING: This fact may startle you:

80 percent of the U.S. population has some form of periodontal (gum) disease.
– From Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Photo of Betsy a dental hygienist

Despite this statistic, gum and other oral diseases are 100% preventable. The secret: Practicing good, daily dental hygiene. In honor of National Dental Hygiene Month, our hygienist Betsy has the top four daily dental tips you need to do to keep your smile in tip-top shape.

1. Brush Daily – Always brush two minutes, two times a day.

Brushing your teeth thoroughly (and gently) is the most important method of reducing plaque and preventing tooth decay and gum disease. When brushing, be sure to place
the brush head at a 45-degree angle on your gum line and tooth surface while moving the toothbrush in a circular motion for two minutes. Betsy’s #1 recommendation for toothbrushes is the Sonicare. This electric toothbrush does all the work for you and even has a two-minute timer on it, so you don’t have to worry about timing yourself! Important: Make sure you replace your toothbrush every three to four months.

2. Floss Daily – Make it a habit.Kirkland family dentistry

Brushing your teeth is extremely important, but it only cleans 70% of our mouths. Flossing covers the other 30% by removing plaque and food particles in between teeth. Neglecting to floss will only increase your chances of tooth decay and gum disease. Talk to our dental hygienist Betsy to learn the proper way to floss. Also, ask her the advantages of using a Waterpik!

3. Swish and Rinse – Use mouthwash every day.

Incorporating mouthwash into your dental hygiene routine is an important step to a healthy mouth. Be sure to choose a non-alcoholic mouthwash to avoid dry mouth and be sure to look for the ADA Seal of Approval for a supreme healthy mouth.

4. Chew Sugar-Free Gum with Xylitol – Add some sweetness to your routine.

After every meal and drink, plaque takes the opportunity to produce acid, attacking your smile. Research has shown chewing sugar-free gum after every meal can protect your smile because it increases the quantity of saliva, which neutralizes the acid. The natural ingredient, Xylitol, helps to prevent cavity-causing acid from being produced! Look for gums or mints that have 100% Xylitol.

Practice these four tips daily and schedule your check-ups with our hygienist Betsy in Kirkland to keep your smile healthy for a lifetime!Kirkland dentist

Do you have any questions?
Comment in our blog below and we’ll be sure to respond!